On the 17th September 2017, HRLN in partnership with the Odisha Judicial Academy held a judicial colloquium on the matter of reproductive health and rights in the State.
In attendance was the Chief Justice of Odisha, Hon'ble Shri Justice S. K. Mishra, as well as many High Court judges and Judicial Officers. Colin Gonsalves, the founder of HRLN and a Senior Supreme Court Advocate, also spoke about HRLN's pioneering work in the field of reproductive rights.
The colloquium was held in order to sensitise the judiciary to issues of reproductive rights. Several speakers from HRLN and other organisations presented on topics including abortion, child marriage, HIV/AIDS, the right to food, maternal death, and adolescent health.
We hope to provide further training to judicial officers in order to ensure that judicial action is constantly upholding and furthering the reproductive and human rights of women both in Odisha and across India.
- Breaking: ‘Sex With a Minor Wife is Rape’, Supreme Court Rules
- India girl ‘raped by teachers’ critical after abortion
- HRLN represents 13-year old rape victim who is granted an abortion at 31 weeks by the Supreme Court
- Baby born to woman who was denied permission to abort dies
- HRLN receives positive order from the Patna High Court regarding quality of healthcare in Bihar prisons