Post Date: Wednesday, January 10, 2018
Earlier this month, Justice Vibhu Bakhru delivered a positive order in the Delhi High Court regarding a woman who was turned away from a hospital and subsequently gave birth in an autorickshaw, and was then charged a large amount of out of pocket expenditure for her delivery. Notable quotes include:
'Insofar as the expenditure 7,000/- is concerned, this Court is of the view that the same ought to be immediately provided to the petitioner as this petition does, prima facie, indicate that the petitioner ought to have been admitted to the hospital on 17.11.2017 and ought not to have turned away. Accordingly, the respondents are directed to ensure that the said payment of 7,000/- is provided to the petitioner immediately.'
'Respondent no.3 is further directed to institute a proper inquiry to determine whether there has been any medical negligence on the part of the attending doctor(s).'
You can read the full order below:
- HRLN receives positive order in UP Salenta Case
- Positive Order Received in UP Fistula Case
- Supreme Court Orders 2017
- Manipur Orders 2017
- Maharashtra Orders 2017
- New HRLN Fact-Finding Report: Medical Negligence in Dindori District Hospital, Madhya Pradesh
- HRLN publish new book on Child Marriage in India
- New HRLN Fact-Finding Report: Availability of Services for Pregnant Women in Rajgarhali Tea Estate, Assam
- Efficacy, safety, cost: India’s decade-old debate on the cervical cancer vaccine erupts again
- Sex ratio at birth dips in 17 large states, Gujarat tops list
- The fight to ban a ‘humiliating’ virginity test for newlyweds