On 2 May, 2016, there was a protest rally in Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh following the arrest of their leader Lama Gyatso. Lama Gyatso is a social activist of Tawang who is leading an anti movement against setting up of hydroelectric power projects in Tawang, Arunachal Pradesh. Lama Gyatso was arrested on 25th April, 2016 and was kept in judicial custody till 2nd May, 2016. On the same day Lama Gyatso was presented before JMC for bail application but he was denied bail and was send to judicial custody. Thousands of anti dam protesters and villagers gathered in front of Tawang police station and demanded the immediate release of Lama Gyatso. Later on the protest took a violent turn and police started open firing at the people. This resulted in death of two people and 10 injured as reported.
- Efficacy, safety, cost: India’s decade-old debate on the cervical cancer vaccine erupts again
- Sex ratio at birth dips in 17 large states, Gujarat tops list
- The fight to ban a ‘humiliating’ virginity test for newlyweds
- Times of India Interview with HRLN Bihar State Coordinator on Child Marriage
- Maharashtra Siblings Are Using WhatsApp To Campaign Against Virginity Tests In Kanjarbhat Community